"" The Exhausted Mom: She's Crafty ~ Photo Canvases

September 30, 2012

She's Crafty ~ Photo Canvases

It's football season, a time when my husband plants himself on the couch for hours on end watching a bunch of grown men hit each other and throw a ball around.  It's also a time when I get to do whatever I want and no one notices or complains.

Last Sunday I was feeling a little crafty.  I went to my Pinterest boards and picked out my first obsession.  This one came from two sources...I meshed both ideas for what suited me the best.  The first came from Literally Inspired.  I loved how she edged the canvases in black paint....so sharp!  The second was from Vickie Lan Photography.  She used the Mod Podge on the photo to give it a more "painted" feel. 

You will love how easy this project is...not to mention how cheap!  I priced these canvas prints on my beloved photo sites and even on sale, they are still about $65.  

I paid WAY less than that with this project.  I got my 8x10 prints for about $4 each, and a pack of canvases for $5 for 2.  With the Mod Podge (which will be used for many more projects to come) and everything, I paid a little less than $8 a canvas. 

Check out how easy this project is....

Photo Canvases

What you need:
  • canvas (any size)
  • your favorite photos (the same size as the canvas)
  • Mod Podge (I used the matte finish)
  • sponge brush
  • Exacto knife
  • acrylic paint (I used black)

1.  Paint the edges of the canvas using whatever color you like.  I chose black.  Make sure to make a little of the pain lap onto the canvas itself in case the photo doesn't reach the edge.

2.  After the paint dries, add a thin layer of Mod Podge to the front of the canvas & carefully place the photo on.

3.  Give it a chance to dry a bit and trim the small edges of the photo that may peek out.

4.  Paint a layer of Mod Podge on top of the photo and sealing the edges.  It will appear white over the photo, but don't worry, it will dry clear.

5.  Hang your photo.  Yup, it's that simple.



Will you try this easy craft?  If so, let me know about it!!

Alexis

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Design by April Showers Design Studio