Today's thirst quencher is Sangria. Another favorite of mine that helps with the summer sanity.
When I was younger, my grandparents would soak peaches in wine...mmmm....I think that was when I first fell for the fruit filled alcoholic beverages. Then I found Sangria...the Spanish sweeter version.
2 bottles +2 cups of inexpensive red wine
2 1/2 cups Dark Rum
1 cup Cointreau (or Triple Sec)
1/2 cup Apple Schnapps
4 tsp sugar (optional)
Chopped fruit, such as apples, oranges, lemons, peaches, strawberries (whatever fruit you like!)
5 cans Fanta Limon, Pellegrino Limonata, Fresca, or Squirt
- Fill a large pitcher or punch bowl with the wine, liquors, fruit, and sugar. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon.
- Test taste. If not sweet enough add another tablespoon or so of sugar. If it is too sweet add more wine.
- Let the mixture rest in the fridge for at least an hour and up to one night. (Better if over night)
- Just before serving, add the Pellegrino Limonata. Serve in ice-filled goblets.
Other Varieties include:
- White Wine Sangria (another favorite of mine)
- Orange Basil White Wine Sangria
- Mango Peach Sangria (want to try this one!)
- Strawberry Peach Sangria