"" The Exhausted Mom: Year of the Snake ~ Chinese New Year in the Classroom

February 5, 2013

Year of the Snake ~ Chinese New Year in the Classroom

I try to teach all of the major types of holidays in my classroom.  Even if it's just a quick book with a craft.  One of my favorite holidays to teach about has always been Chinese New Year.  I love the history, the traditions, and the RED!


2013 is the year of the snake.  I went on the almighty Pinterest to look for ideas to celebrate Chinese New Year in my classroom.  

We'll start our celebration by reading some books.  Here are a couple of my favorites:

Bringing in the New Year:
 
This book follows a Chinese American family as they prepare for Chinese New Year.  There are brightly colored pictures of the traditions for this Lunar New Year. 






Sam and the Lucky Money:

This is a book about a little boy named Sam who decides to donate his Chinese New Year money to a homeless man.  What a great way to teach about giving!








Check out these great snake crafts that are quick, easy, and adorable!  Yuppers, I found them on Pinterest!  (I love that site!)

 

These paper chain snakes were geared for pre-k kids, but I really think my first graders would love this one!  Not to mention, making them in lucky red....cute!



This paper plate snake is also easy and fun.  We can hang them from the ceiling...love it!

These books and crafts would also be something easy and fun to do with your kids at home too.  Put it all together with some dumplings and fried rice...mmmmm!

GUNG HEI FAT CHOI! 

Alexis

1 comment:

  1. These are such cute crafts and those books are some of my favorites when teaching kids about Chinese New Year! Gung Hay Fat Choi!

    ReplyDelete

 
Blog Design by April Showers Design Studio