"" The Exhausted Mom: Spring Cleaning (With Child Labor)

April 9, 2013

Spring Cleaning (With Child Labor)

So, it's no secret that I'm pretty exhausted most of the time.  Between my two VERY active boys with an ever growing social calendar, my husband who also needs attention, my full time job as an elementary teacher, blogging, grocery shopping, laundry, cleaning, and my need to have "me" time, I am pretty booked up.  

I have always been one of those people who subscribed to the belief of "if you want something done right, do it yourself," therefore I was always doing things on my own for fear of things not getting done right.  And by "right" I mean "my way."  

In the past few years I have learned to let go of this crazy notion.  I was tired of being tired.  I was tired of being the only one doing things.  So I started "letting" other people help me....especially around the house.  

My husband is really good about helping when he's home.  He will do the laundry; things may not get put away in the right place, but at least he does the cleaning.  He will also help with the grocery shopping.  He may not buy the brands that I want, but at least he goes there.  

Now I'm starting to let go of some of the cleaning chores.  I'm giving them to my kids.  They are 6 & 8 years old, I think it's time to start earning their keep around here!

Here are some ways I enlisted their help for our "spring cleaning" this year:


  • Emptying the dryer
  • Folding the laundry-This took a little time from me.  The socks were easy.  Folding shirts was more of an art.
  • Putting away laundry-I like to lay out all of the clean and folded clothes on my bed and make piles for each family member.  Then everyone puts away their own piles.
  • Putting away clean dishes-I have plastic tableware for the kids and it is kept at an easily accessible level for them.  
  • Vacuuming-I made this one sound fun to "Little Ricky." (hee, hee!)
  • Cleaning the shower-"The Nag" always wants to wear yellow gloves and spray a bottle.  I mixed vinegar and water in an empty spray bottle.  Then I sprinkled baking soda in each shower for him and set him to work with a scrubber.  
  • Making beds-It never comes out perfect, but at least it's straight.
  • Picking up toys

Again, the "cleaning" may not be how I want it, but at least it's taking some of the load off of my shoulders.  And it's teaching my kids the value of responsibility.  (and I didn't even have to pay them for it!)
  
How do you get your kids to help out around the house? 


Alexis

2 comments:

  1. My girls help out but they're a little older and from them I expect things to be done right because of their ages. Of course, they complain the whole time about cleaning but I remind them that they live in the house too and contribute to the mess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The complaining is not wasted on my kids either...

      Delete

 
Blog Design by April Showers Design Studio