|Our latest tracks....oh yes, there's one looming!|
People run around to Home Depot grasping at the last pieces of plywood to barricade their windows, frantically scurry to the grocery store for any non-perishables or water, and create long lines at gas stations to fill their cars and generators. It's complete havoc!
When I first moved to Miami, it was unreal! I left my preparations until it was certain that the storm would hit us. To my surprise, there was nothing left on the shelves, and the lines at the gas stations were 2 hours long. NO JOKE!
|NO JOKE...this is what it looks like!|
Here are a few tips for getting ready for a hurricane warning/watch AHEAD OF TIME to prevent all the chaos (at least in your own home):
2) Water - before the season approaches, stock up on gallon waters so they aren't missing from the shelves when the time comes. You need 1 gallon per person, per day.
3) Non-perishables (canned foods, boxed foods) - same with the water, buy them throughout the season, especially when on sale for buy one get one. Be sure to not buy foods that need to be cooked since you may not have electricity.
4) Battery operated radio or TV - this will help when wanting to connect with the real world after the storm hits.
5) Flashlights - don't think I need to explain this....
6) First-aid kit - be sure it's fully stocked...you never know what could happen.
7) Cash! - when a storm hits, 95% of the time, the power goes out...so does the credit card machines...and you never know how long they will be down.
8) Batteries - all sizes....for all of the many battery operated items that you need.
9) Medicines - especially if anyone has prescription medicines that they need to take.
10) Trash bags - just because.
Well, I hope that it's an inactive hurricane season for all!
If not, get ready now....